Glenn's Poker Journal

Husband to FeliciaLee.. here are some of my poker adventures in 'bilking the internet poker machine, six dollars at a time' (--quoted from Sean, Anisotropy).

Name:
Location: United States

NOT a poker blogger!

Sunday, September 11, 2005

2nd in Tourney :D

For all 8 of you (according to sitemeter ; ) who still come to my site daily to see if I updated, here it is :D

I apologize for not being one to write everyday, but when you do the same thing everyday (play Draw online) it's not all that interesting; at least to me.

At one point in the past (long past), I posted my results on Draw via StatKing. Since that time, I've gotten a new computer and, low and behold, that version of StatKing doesn't work on the newer hard/software of this machine. I found StatKing on the web, but found that you now have to pay for it (I had a beta version). So, I did what all computer geeks do and started to create my own. I now have a PHP web page driven by an Apache server with a MySQL database on the backend that I send all my stats to, and another PHP page that spits out the stats in nice tables. Things like the sites that I play on, the games that I play, what I've made, and what is my BB/hr for those games. I even broke things down into a rolling month and rolling 3 months so that I can gauge my progress! I know, nominate me for "geek king". -grin- (One second thought, I'd just have to be "geek prince", as people like Joe from www.lasvegasvegas.com have me beat hands-down for "geek king".)

After our last tournament foray at the Rio, Felicia and I have been concentrating on ring-games. One thing stats confirm is that tournaments can be -EV (perhaps others are savvy enough to be +EV, but, not us yet...I guess we are truly Sklansky devotees).

One thing that the stats had shown was that I was up overall for satellites:


LocationGameLimitperHourTotalDuration

RioNLHEtournament 8.61140.0016.25

So I made $8.61/hr playing satellites.. but this didn't compare to my ring game play at 2/5:

RioNLHE2/5 28.69134.004.67

..where I made $28.69/hr playing NL. Of course, I played less than 5 hours there, so using these results are less than accurate. They just fuel my "why do I play tournaments?" mindset. What also didn't help, were the last 3, yes 3 in a row, $225 tournaments that I played where I had the best hand going in but got sucked out on. One, an A4o vs. T4o.. T4o flops a full house. AA vs. QQ (all-in pre-flop); QQ flops a full house. QQ vs. JTs (and yes, this too was all-in pre-flop, JTs was loose raising woman.. why she called my all-in is beyond me): I flop quads, she gets runner-runner perfect for K-high straight flush.

Anyway, after this Felicia and I have been concentrating strictly on cash games. For a wonder, she has been playing online.. yes! FeliciaLee playing poker.. online! Hehehe.

I've had a good run playing Draw on PokerRoom. My first 100 hours I've had about a $10/hr average playing $1/2 limit. I've played the $3/6 a couple times; made a nice hit at the $5/10 the one-and-only time that I played (which I needed since I lost a bit at the $3/6 that day :-p )

All this, however, hasn't kept me from playing the freerolls at Intertops! :) At one point I had cashed out completely from Intertops after they started playing Draw at PokerRoom. But then I played some of their $100 freerolls for the heck of it. I think the first I got just barely into the money for a whole $0.65! (Where the heck did the "cent" symbol go on modern keyboards?? Just a little pet peeve.) Then, back-to-back, I won 2nd for $15, and first for $25. I suddenly had money in Intertops again. Started playing the ring games there; Felicia too, playing both the NLHE and the O8. I had a good run the few times that I've played the NLHE $25 tables always coming out ahead. The one time I lost my stack AI pre-flop w/ KK (at least no bad-beat.. guy min-raised pre w/ AA, which usually means, well, AA, but mostly AK or some suited connector), I got it all back after I got KK again vs. JJ and we both flopped sets. It's amazing how people cannot lay down a set after being check-raised. I guess at the $25 tables, there are not really any "big lay downs".

Now that Felicia and I have been playing, we've been able to play the raked-hands freerolls too. Last night, I actually took 2nd in the $500 one for $78.50:



Yippee! I held the chip lead a few times, but my tight play watched it drain away many-a-time. Not to mention that there were enough people being aggressive that my "sit-back" strategy worked just fine there. I'd get chips in a hand that would allow me to watch the others knock each other out; fine by me :) I got aggressive when I needed too, the couple times I got short, and my hands held up. I had a tight enough image that after the one time the guy to my left defended his BB and re-raised to put me all-in with my Ace-rag, the next few times that I raised his blind, he just folded (allowing me to steal once with T6s..but, I just couldn't pull the Harrington and re-steal with 62o from the button steal of my BB ; ).

After a rocking day up and down at Draw, it was nice to finish the day ahead after this win.

Just thought I'd share an update. Hope all is well with everyone.


Posted by Glenn

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

So can we see a demo of your geekdom? Maybe no real stats but dummied up ones or something?

4:26 PM  
Blogger DuggleBogey said...

Congrats on your wins at Intertops, it's always good to see you playing there.

I've been pretty lucky there lately. I withdrew all my money before Vegas (when I met Felicia for the first time) this year and never deposited again, yet I have the account over $120 just from freerolls.

I share the account with a friend and he plays them more than I do now. (But that was me last week when you said hello.) We were hoping to make enough to pay for a rental car next time we go to vegas...

5:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done Glenn... but I already told you that :)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you desperately want to type cents properly, ¢ is ALT+0162 on the keypad. Similarly £ is ALT+0163 and ¥ is ALT+0165. make sure that you have numlock on before you try this, or you will zip down a page and wonder what the hell happened.

Pete

11:23 AM  
Blogger Felicia :) said...

This is Glenn, btw...

DuggleBogey: whoohoo! fun to see others doing the same on Intertops ;)
GL on hitting enough to fund your trips!

Thanks again, Drizz :)

Awesome Peter! ¢¢¢!!! Haha
thankyou, thankyou, thankyou :D

OK Bill. I'll work something up.

12:19 PM  
Blogger tristan said...

as a non-card-playing english tourist having driven through golden valley once and wondered what the hell kind of person can survive up there, it was great to discover you about six months ago and follow the saga. very best wishes x.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home